In the English “Language System” the people are “represented” by two separate, yet equally important “groups”; the grammar-deficient public who “insert” gratuitous “quotation marks” without regard for “meaning”, and the “police” who “investigate these crimes” and “arrest” the offenders. These are their “stories”.
How can the undertaxed American mind ever learn a language like Chinese? The meaning of a word can change completely with just a slight variation in the tone in which it is pronounced. And let’s not even mention their so-called “alphabet” which even they can’t master. No, the world today has accepted English as its lingua franca because when we say a word, that is exactly what we mean, no more no less.
- a disciplined, repetitious training exercise.
- a tool for boring cylindrical holes.
- a marine gastropod mollusc, Urosalpinx cinera, closely related to the whelk.
- a small furrow in which seeds are sown.
- a hard-wearing cotton cloth.
- an Old World monkey, Mandrillus leucophaeus, of West Africa.