How can the undertaxed American mind ever learn a language like Chinese? The meaning of a word can change completely with just a slight variation in the tone in which it is pronounced. And let’s not even mention their so-called “alphabet” which even they can’t master. No, the world today has accepted English as its lingua franca because when we say a word, that is exactly what we mean, no more no less.
- a disciplined, repetitious training exercise.
- a tool for boring cylindrical holes.
- a marine gastropod mollusc, Urosalpinx cinera, closely related to the whelk.
- a small furrow in which seeds are sown.
- a hard-wearing cotton cloth.
- an Old World monkey, Mandrillus leucophaeus, of West Africa.